Pages

Translate

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Shower me a Blue Fridge...

LesbosOnTheCouch by Beth C, one of the Lesbos

It’s a holiday- we are all to be dressed in white…Everyone looks so lovely.
In the wooded area, dark and green and cool the little girls are running and skipping, while their elders sit on the benches by the picnic table, sipping their coffees and wine. In the distance we can hear the gentle babbling of the water as it falls down its soft algae covered slope into the pool below. The water from the pool can be seen from a certain angle as the sunlight plays though the leaves of the trees and sends sparkles of light dancing in the air.
Off in the corner of the clearing there is a refrigerator. A line of girls, still in there play clothes wait their turn. Apparently the fridge is actually a shower room, but we are all hesitant…How can we get in there to shower with all of those refrigerator shelves?
The girls open and close the door…and open and close the door again. I really want to take a shower and put on my white dress too…But I can’t figure it out…how will I fit in there with all of those shelves…I look for my Love – I know that she will have the answer.
My Love comes up to me and takes my hand…she opens the door to the fridge and steps in. As she does I see that the fridge is actually a much larger room with shower heads sprouting from pipes that line the walls and the ceiling. A little girl is sitting at the entrance. She was the first to go in, no questions asked – she knew …She’s already showered and sits on the floor in her white dress which looks yellow and quite frilly in the off white light of the fridge. She is smiling and giggling as she puts on her shoes. Her hair is short and straight around her head with bangs just above her eyes. Her face is round and freckled. The happy seven year old ties buckles her shoes and my Love points me into the shower as she stands by the door keeping watch.
I shower with great difficulty. The shower heads are all over and they go off and on as if independently orchestrating a concert of water and spray.
After my shower, I want to put on my white dress and run and skip and sip my wine…I open the bag, which is my dress and shake it out. Hey, it’s green and short and snaps at the legs…
I guess I will stay in my jeans…and sneakers…and have a beer. Where are the fridge shelves anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment