Pages

Translate

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Sara is gone

LesbosOnTheCouch by Beth C, one of the Lesbos


I am one of the luckiest people that I know. I have had many mothers throughout my life time --- and Sara was one of these. She was one – she was always one.
Sara was one. She was one and she was one and only in so many ways. I’ve know Sara and Avner for over 32 years. They adopted me in Syracuse while we were trying to study and learn and grow in the snowiest and coldest place I’d ever been.
From the very beginning they took me into their home, into their hearts. Sara sensed right away that something was missing in me – she sensed my need and she put herself out there, selflessly and wholly. She put herself to me fully and without hesitation. She was the first to hold me tightly and not let go – ever.
She was the first to teach me that I was loveable and worthy of love. She held me and no matter what I said and no matter what I did… she held me – and in many ways, she sustained me.
She talked to me openly and honestly. She was one of the first to open me up and give me safe haven. Their home in Syracuse became mine, their boys became my brothers. In Syracuse, every holiday, every event, every birthday and celebration, I was included…I was included, I was surrounded, I was engulfed and I was loved as I was an unconditionally. Sara saw something in me that I didn’t yet see in myself.
I don’t know how or why she did it. She spent so much time with me, helping to heal and become whole…She saved me from myself more times than I care to remember… – she saved me from so much, most of which she did not even know, -or care… What I had done, what had happened to me – this was only important to her, because it was important to me…but she taught me, she tried to teach me, that I was more than my past. I was more than my pain.
This is the Sara that I have been so very blessed to have known. This woman, a true mother of the earth…Sara was warm and alive. She taught me what it meant to be a mother first hand…she talked to me about things that no one else dared or bothered to speak of. Sara was the first to accept and understand –everything…she ‘got it’ all.
Sara was fearless in every way. She was fearless in the way she lived, in the way she loved and in the way she expressed herself. She was not afraid. She knew that life is a gift. She knew that time is precious. Sara did not believe that time spent giving and loving and talking was wasted time. All time spent, a gift… and this gift she shared with me in a way that can only dream of understanding. Share was fearless. Share was generous. Sara was warm and loving. Sara treasured life. I consider myself to have been so luck – so blessed. Sara shared with me her most treasured gifts – her family, her love and her time---her time cut short.
I believe that we are better people for having known Sara…and now…
Sara has left us. It is impossible to grasp. Sara – fearless, loving and strong and bold is no longer here to share and be.
Blessed be Sara in death as she was in life.



5 comments:

  1. beautiful, Beth. such a loving tribute. thank you for sharing it.
    brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, Sarah really must have the "THE" mother for you, the mother we are all looking for through all our live, the mother, we are dreaming of during our darkest nights and who we usually never find. You did find her.She shared part of her life with you, she gave you a shelter, she gave you answers, she gave you love.
    She gave you the chance to be the one, you are today. The one we all love

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Beth!
    So touching! So true! She was our mother! Mine by nature and yours by choice!
    I love you big Sis!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Beth,

    It was some divine gift that brought Sara into your life. You and Sara are in my prayers.-Bill Dement

    ReplyDelete